Google+ LISTENING TO THE SQUEAK INSIDE art by Kirstin McCulloch of LilliBean Designs: ☆ Directed Drawing: Creating with Kids [Lesson 2]

Monday, November 4, 2013

☆ Directed Drawing: Creating with Kids [Lesson 2]


I have been meaning to follow up from lesson one + share with you the other 'art classes' that the kids + I have been doing.

This was our second lesson + a really fun one that Bean + I did. Bug was totally uninterested in joining us + as these lessons are supposed to be fun, I didn't push her.

So I had an exercise to do with patterns + exploring shapes planned for our lesson, but Bean said to me - "I want to draw a picture like you mama - one of your girls."

We went through my sketchbook + picked bits and pieces from different sketches, she wanted to include in her drawing, a hair style from one, a dress from another.

I was very careful only influence her drawing minimally, using only general terms + suggestions.

She was a bit unsure of where to start, so I asked her what she saw first.

"How do I draw this head mama?" I asked her what shape it was + after deciding a circle would be the best shape for her girls head we started.

So with only using my vocal directions Bean drew this awesome girl, with a fringe, ruffly dress + long wavy hair, complete with shoes (her latest obsession is every girl she draws must have shoes!)


We had such fun with this lesson, so much so that she wants to try again, but this time using a magazine picture of the princess du jour!

Have you ever tried this type of exercise? I think it would be a really fun one to do with Bean or Bug being the one directing the drawing.

Have a great week.

2 comments :

  1. lovely drawing..its great when our kids want to join in with us isnt it..last night my youngest had a go at making a bonbon box

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky girl to have you for a mom and what a lucky mom you are to have such a sweet, creative girl! Bean's drawing is wonderful. Please tell her I enjoyed it very much and hope to see more of her artwork in the future. Have a great week, Kirstin. xo, janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing your ideas and thoughts. I will often respond to your comments here, so please check back for a response. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...