Google+ LISTENING TO THE SQUEAK INSIDE art by Kirstin McCulloch of LilliBean Designs: ☆ Beating the Creative Blues: part one [SUMMER OF GREATEST HITS]

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

☆ Beating the Creative Blues: part one [SUMMER OF GREATEST HITS]


For the first time I am taking the whole of January off. I don't really have any plans - I am working on being spontaneous this year.... well I will let you know how that goes! 

I had this idea. (Did you know that Mac is putting this on my grave stone??)

Anyway January is a time of creating new habits, reflecting on the past year/ years, sometimes as it is the depths of the season (Summer for me + Winter for many of you) it is hard to get motivated to move. 

So my idea is this: I'm going to share with you some of the posts that have been the most inspiring for readers. These are the posts that I have had people personally contact me about. And I want to revisit some earlier work, share some of the paintings in progress that and some other bits + pieces.

I hope you enjoy this Greatest Hits series + I will return with fresh ideas + content in February.

☆ ☆ 

MY TOP 10 WAYS TO BEAT THE CREATIVITY BLUES 
{part one}

1. TAKE THE DAY OFF...

WHAT? 

Seriously take the day off.

Do not go near your work space or sketchbook. Shut the door, close the book and take the day off. But the most important part of this is to LET GO OF THE GUILT + WORRY.


Instead do something different, something you don't normally do - go for a walk, read a book, visit a park with a coffee or watch a movie. 


Stepping out of your routine + taking the day off can open yourself up to new inspiration.


2. DOODLE, ZENTANGLES + MANDALAS....

These are such great ways of letting your mind wander, I find them almost meditative, and often once I have spent just ten minutes doing one of these, I am open to new ideas + solving problems that have been worrying me, and unblocking my creativity.

There are so many 'how to's' when you Google any of these terms + so many free template downloads you can fill in. This is one of my favourite inspiration busters.

3. VISIT THE LIBRARY...

or bookshop, or second hand book store or charity shops. 


But instead of the how to books or art books, go to the children's sections and look at the beautiful illustrations in their books.

I love doing this, and often drag my kids to the library under the guise of borrowing books for them, but I am actually choosing books whose illustrations sparked inspiration.

4. YOUTUBE...
There are so many how to tutorials out there on YouTube. And definitely worth watching - my favourites are this one + this one.

5. USING A DIFFERENT STYLE...
Sometimes, I just need to do something a little different.

I have often done several quick sketches of cutesy mermaids, pirate queens or zombie queens (not my usual stuff).

Sometimes, I draw disney princess for my girls to colour in. Anything to just keep my creative brain going.


Make sure you come back next week for the rest of my favourite ways to beat the creativity blues, but I would love to know What your favourite inspiration busters are? I would love it if you shared yours with us below.


post signature

 photo newslettersignature.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing your ideas and thoughts. I will often respond to your comments here, so please check back for a response. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...